Friday 21 September 2012

Great minds think 'negatively'.

Hi Tracy here. Earlier this month Jen posted a gorgeous page demonstrating how  to use negatives on your layouts. I was totally spooked, as I had also done two layouts for my post this month featuring exactly that technique. Neither of us knew what the other was doing this month, but it was too late for me to change them, so apologies now for the repeat of this technique this month. As you'll see, although the technique is the same our pages are totally different.

The supplies I've used this month are all from the new Echo Park - Everyday Eclectic collection pack.

My first page was actually inspired by the class that Jen taught at our retreat back in March this year. My negative shape is a large heart , I cut it out with my Cricut, but it would  be just as easy to draw the shape and cut it out using a craft knife. I also used the positive as a mat for my photos.


Here's how I made a feature of the negative shape.

After cutting out the heart, I machine stitched around both the positive and negative.


Just as Jen did in her retreat class, I drew the sunburst design onto a piece of scrap card slightly bigger than the heart, and cut into individual segments. I also numbered each piece so I knew which order to stick them to form the pattern.


 Then I used the pieces as templates to cut pieces from patterned papers.


 I arranged and stuck the pieces onto a piece of kraft, the same size as the piece I used for the templates, and machine stitched along one side of each piece.


 Finally I attached the sun burst pattern behind the heart shaped window using 3D foam pads to add depth.


On my next page I used the same method as Jen did here, but I cut the circles through the blue paper as well as the base white cardstock. I also used some of the circles I'd cut out too.



I hope you didn't mind the repeat use of this technique this month. 






6 comments:

Helsbells said...

I've been using my craft robo to do this a lot recently too. I did a big filled sunburst a couple of months back for a summery layout. Great minds do indeed think alike!

Lovely colours. Those Echo Park papers are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I was delighted to see another post on 'negative' cut outs. It's an appealing technique and two posts in a row is even better as far as I'm concerned! Thanks :)
Mandy

Vanessa said...

Tracy they are fantastic, the sunburst is brilliant. If I blow the dust off my craft robo, I might just have a go at this someday! :) x

Tracie said...

Awesome pages Tracy, really loving that sunburst pattern!!

Nat said...

Fab layouts Tracy, it's a great technique so good to see it but to use in lots of ways xxx

Jenga said...

I love the heart layout Tracy :)