Monday 24 October 2011

* * Travel themed layouts with October Afternoon * *

Hello all, it's Laura here with some October Afternoon goodies for you today.  This month I have been catching up on scrapping some honeymoon photos using the travel inspired range "Boarding Pass" by October Afternoon.

I was drawn to this collection by something new from October Afternoon and that was their pack of "Miscellany" which is essentially a multi pack of die cut shapes, chipboard, tickets etc all designed to co-ordinate with the patterned papers of Boarding Pass.

I am going to show you three layouts that I made with this collection and how I used the goodies in this pack to add interest and detail to my pages.

Firstly... my favourite die cut of the bunch was this... a cute old fashioned viewing dial.  I didn't realise that this came in the pack but I was pleased to discover that my thumbnail pics that came with my Photobox order were the perfect size to add some tiny photos to this embellishment. 
So once I had that assembled I moved onto my layout, this one about our honeymoon in New York, over a year ago now.  (insert wistful memories) I used two photos for this layout, a larger one overlapped with a 6x4 with a white border.  I always make a habit of ordering some of my photos with a white border to give me something to different to work with every now and again.

The background are large pieces of patterned paper, in this case, they are "Venice", "Tokyo" and
"Berlin"


I then used elements from the Miscelleny pack to build up some layers and interest on top of this base.  In order to add dimension I inked the edges of some pieces, I distressed the edges of some, some pieces I crumpled up in my hand then uncrumpled and stuck down. 

Label stickers and Mini Market alphabet stickers were perfect for continuing to add details on other parts of my page.  As the page was starting to look a little busy I decided to journal right on top of my photo and fit my journalling around my page title.  I always use American Crafts Precision Pens and find that they write really smoothly on photos.... just make sure you give your journalling a couple of minutes drying time before you move on with your scrapping.

Now for the final touches of detail... the October Afternoon word stickers are the perfect size for adding into your layers as you near the end of your layout.  I find little gaps to add them in, inbetween patterened paper layers and on top of photos, sometimes adding in some handwritten journalling too. 

I ripped and distressed a couple of my elements a little more at this stage and sewed on the buttons that came with the Miscelleny pack.  

And very finally.... just a few hand stitches added with embroidery floss and then some ink splatters added with spray inks.  There are three gorgeous colours that come with the Boarding Pass range.

Plus a little ribbon added at the bottom and thickers on top of my patterned paper title!

Ok.. but that's it... finished! I love to add lots of details to my page and layers and stickers are all part of my obsession.  My advice to you would be to stick down as you go along!!! Don't try to create the whole layout and then remove it all and work backwards.  This never works for me.  I like to stick and go.  So create your base... stick... next... photos... stick... then start to add your layers and details around what you have already committed to.  The final details will then naturally fit in at the end.

Tomorrow - Two more travel inspired layouts!


5 comments:

Helen said...

Love that viewfinder. Hadn't realised that that was part of the set. Wonder if you could make your own...

Lovely layout :)

Jen said...

awesome layout!

Jenga said...

Great layout. I tend to arrange layers without sticking, then get really annoyed when I move it all to add adhesive and can't get it back "just right". I really should stick, commit and move on like you suggest!

Rachel said...

looks awesomesauce x

Gems said...

The viewfinder looks fab :) And there is so much to look at! x