Friday 31 August 2012

The Sweetest Thing


Hi all, Jen G here. When all of the newest products from CHA started to arrive in the Sarahscards shop a new range from MME caught my eye straight away. It was “The Sweetest Thing- Honey” range. It seems to have a lot of pink in it at first glance and with 3 boys pink is not my first choice of colour to scrap with. However, as I looked through it I realised there was a lot of yellow and dark grey in there - a colour combo that I love. There is also a pack of coordinating washi tape – everyone’s favourite product right now! So today I have 3 layouts to show you that I created with this range.
The honeycomb pattern that recurs on these papers inspired me to start with a hexagon. Using Microsoft Publisher I printed out a hexagon then used it as a template on the “Damask” patterned paper. I then started to create another hexagon around this using the washi tape. To Helen’s amusement, I didn’t whip out a protractor and compass to work out the angles – too technical for me I’m afraid! The washi tape is so easy to reposition that I laid strips of it down that were too long then used a ruler and pencil to find where two strips should meet. I positioned the ruler across the hexagon from corner to opposite corner to do this – see the picture below.

The next step was to use a craft knife to cut away any overlapping washi tape. This gave relatively neat joins and I found they got neater the more I practised!  I added a touch of the pink from the back of the “One of a Kind”paper for this layout of my youngest eating ice cream. I always check his treats to see if they are “poisonous” – it’s the only way I get a lick! 
For the next layout I have to share with you I used the washi tapes to create a 6x4 area of interest. I simply covered a piece of scrap card with stripes of the 3 tapes in the pack, folding the ends over the edges of the card.
 I layered this up on foam pads with more patterned paper under it and a photo of my niece on top of it. I used the washi tape again to cover some DIY Thickers for the title. Coincidentally I did this in exactly the same way that Nat did when covering her veneer shapes. Great minds, eh Nat?

For the final layout I have to show you today I covered a circle of card with the “Honey Love” washi tapes along with a few other tapes from my collection. Initially the card circle was kraft, but I didn’t really like the effect. I was loathe to waste that much washi tape by starting again but I really wanted to change the card to white. I tried peeling the washi tape off the kraft card and amazingly the vast majority of it came off with ease. I repositioned it all onto white card and was much happier. I then hand cut several of the circles from “Doily” paper and layered them behind the main circle to echo the bubbles in the picture.  I used strips of washi tape once more to journal along.

So, a collection that I instantly dismissed as too girly turned out not to be that girly after all. I love it when that happens. Have you dismissed a range as too feminine/masculine only to be surprised by the results? Let us know.
TTFN!

 
 

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Great layouts Jen, I wouldn't have given that collection a second glance for use with boys pages, so you've certainly opened my eyes.
T. X

Helsbells said...

May have to get my protractor out for a future blog post ;) Lovely stuff. Like the doily paper circles :)

Nat said...

Great minds indeed lol ;) Fab pages and use of washi....really love the covered circle on your last page xxx

Nat said...

Great minds indeed lol ;) Fab pages and use of washi....really love the covered circle on your last page xxx

debbie r said...

Fab lo's jen :-) i always check things aren't poisonous for the kids at work LOL

Louise said...

Fab LOs Jen, I especially love the last one. I was surprised you chose that range, but you're so right, they are really versatile papers.
x